The Gilpin Willson Home
Below is a very special property consisting of: the historic main house, plus a two-story award-winning carriage house, featuring beautiful grounds & even off-street parking . . . in Downtown Staunton!
In the main inn, there are 5 bedrooms (depending upon how you use the rooms) and 4 1/2 bathrooms. There is an additional bedroom and bathroom in the carriage house.
~ 6 BR / 5 1/2 Baths ~
This house was designed by Sam Collins, an architect of the long-standing Collins Architectural firm here in Staunton, VA and was originally built as the local bank president's home, The Gilpin Willson House.
Call: (540) 885-6556 OR e-mail: [email protected]
* * *
The Gilpin Willson Home
A Newtown Historic District home designed by Sam Collins, Architect
~ The Main House ~
~ The Carriage House ~
(Recognized by Historic Staunton Foundation for excellence in renovation in 2004)
~ The Gardens ~
The courtyard is located behind main house (see photo below).
The lower garden has a covered swing. (The swing is off to the right of the photo).
Pictured below is the covered swing; this is an original structure on the property, probably dating back 100 years. Click on the link for more photos of the garden.
Looking into the "Secret Garden" on a Fall day:
Looking into the "Secret Garden" on a Spring day:
This photo was taken from the balcony, which is off the sunroom, in the main house. The water garden and herb garden (planted in containers) are shown below:
There are four water lily plants, a lotus plant, pickerel rush, cattails, water iris, and an abundance of oxygenating under-water plants in the water garden.
Around the water garden is seating (see several photos below).
~ The photos show sitting areas in the courtyard overlooking the water garden ~
~ "Sarah" overlooking the water garden ~
~ The Rooms in the Main House ~
The Living Room:
SPECIAL FEATURES of THE MAIN INN & CARRIAGE HOUSE:
* Several beautiful gardens
* 400 amp service in main house + additional circuit breakers in the carriage house
* Central air conditioning in main house and carriage house
* Off street parking for four (or even more) cars
* Thriving water garden with courtyard around it (with two varieties of Concord grapes on arbor fence at far side of courtyard)
* Established perennial gardens
* Located in historic Newtown area (and walk to everything in charming Downtown Staunton!!!)
* Solid construction (brick exterior and 2' x 4's inside walls are oak)
* The carriage house won an award given by Historic Staunton Foundation the year renovations were made in 2004
* Copper roof on carriage house
* Legend tells us that Robert E. Lee boarded his house in the carriage house
* Slate roof on the main house
* Copper roof on the carriage house
* Originally built around the turn of the century and designed by architect Sam Collins for the president of the downtown bank
* Brick walk in front of house
* Hundred-year-old boxwoods in both front and back gardens
* Original covered porch swing area in the lower garden
* R4 zoning allows for many uses and the carriage house is very unique and could be an office space or a wonderful guest house
* Currently operated as a highly-successful Bed and Breakfast but priced only as a residential property to allow for easy financing for the purchaser
* Furnishings are also available for sale, including antiques
The Famous Blackfriars' Playhouse in Downtown Staunton:
The FREE trolley goes all around downtown and out to the park!
Staunton has a very charming downtown filled with over a dozen restaurants, coffee shops, antique and specialty stores, art galleries, movie theaters, etc.:
~ MORE Important Information About Downtown Staunton, VA ~
Recent Staunton Press -- Read the articles below which outline what an extremely special town Staunton, Virginia is . . . and an amazing place to live and work!
(Click on the links below.)
Travel and Leisure Magazine: America's
Greatest Main Streets
Smithsonian Magazine: 20 Best Small Towns in America"
The Washington Post: In Shenandoah Valley, a Shakespeare Tradition Has Taken Root
* * *
Another House Which we have For Sale
You can purchase the Craftsman-Style House for $215,000 which can be booked as a vacation rental house -- or it can be your own personal residence if you prefer to live in a large house instead of in the Innkeepers' Quarters at the B&B. Click here for more information about The Craftsman-Style House.
Call (540) 885-6556 OR e-mail: [email protected]
Have a look at the website for the B&B (click here).
Use your backspace key to return to previous page.